Thursday, December 4, 2008

User Interface Programming: Why does it takes 80% of the time to do 20% of the work?

I'm working on a decorated box widget, with a drop down menu, expand/collapse, header icon, and more. No matter how close I get to finishing it, another little feature or tweak pops up!!

In half a day, I was able to get from nothing to a polished widget that satisfied almost all of my requirements. Now I'm two more days into hacking CSS and squashing edge cases, and I'm still not quite finished!

This boggles my mind. Yesterday evening when I left work, I said to myself "What a great day of work! Just a few more little tweaks and I'll be able to deliver this code!" Hah, yeah right :)

Why does it take 80% of the time to do 20% of the work? Maybe I'm just horrible at estimating. Or maybe it's a law. So I googled and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

That's not quite right, although one could draw parallels. The 20% of my time that accomplished most of the work could be considered "the vital few". Sounds like nature is screwing with everyone.. even the economists.

2 comments:

Adam Archer said...

I found an interested and related wiki doc from the See Also section of the one you linked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-ninety_rule

Unknown said...

OMG he blogs again!!